6 spring lamb chops
2 tbsp natural (plain) low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp tomato puree (paste)
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
1 tsp chilli powder
few drops red food colouring (optional)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp corn oil
3 tbsp lemon juice, oil for basting
Lettuce leaves (optional)
1 small sliced onion
fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs
- Rinse the chops and pat dry. Trim off any fat.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the yogurt, tomato puree (paste), ground coriander, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, food colouring (if using), salt, oil and lemon juice. Rub this mixture over the chops, using your hands, and leave to marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 240C / 475F / gas 9. Place the marinated chops in an ovenproof dish.
- Using a brush, baste the chops with about 1 tsp of oil and cook in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 180C / 350F / Gas 4 and cook for a further 10 - 15 minutes.
- Check to see that the chops are cooked and serve immediately on a bed of lettuce leaves and garnish with lime wedges, sliced onion and fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs.
Low-Fat Recipe: These spicy lean and trimmed lamb chops are marinated for 3 hours and cooked in an oven using very little oil. They make an excellent appetizer, served with a salad, but would also serve as a main course with a rice accompaniment.