1.5 kg (3lb) boned shoulder or leg of lamb
2 cloves garlic
2-3 large rosemary sprigs
broken into pieces
2 teaspoons chopped sage
8 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon chopped thyme
2 teaspoons teaspoons chopped rosemary
4 shallots finely chopped
.25 teaspoon ground ginger
salt & pepper
- Lay the lamb skin side down on a board. Slice 1 garlic clove and crush the other. Put half the rosemary in a roasting pan.
- Put the crushed garlic, chopped herbs, shallots, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and mix well.
- Spread over the lamb and roll up, enclosing the stuffing completely.
- Secure with string. Make small incisions in the surface of the lamb and insert the garlic slices. Lay the remaining rosemary on top.
- Cook in a preheated moderate oven, 180C (350F), Gas Mark 4, for 1.5 hours; the meat should be pink inside.
- Serve with sauteed potatoes, tossed in parsley.