1 boned but untied leg of Alberta lamb approx. 5 lbs.
3 Tbsp. crushed dried peppercorns (equal mix of white, black and red - optional)
1 Tbsp. fresh rosemary (or 1 ½ tsp. dried rosemary)
½ cup fresh mint leaves
5 garlic cloves
crushed ½ cup raspberry vinegar
¼ cup oriental soy sauce
½ cup dry red wine
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Combine 1 Tbsp. of the crushed peppercorns with the rosemary, mint, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce and red wine in a shallow bowl.
- Marinade the lamb in the mixture for 8 hours, turning occasionally. Remove roast from the marinade. Roll and tie the roast.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread the mustard over the meat and press remaining crushed peppercorns into the mustard. Set the roast in a shallow roasting pan and pour marinade around but not over the roast.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours or 18 minutes per pound, basting occasionally. Roast will be medium rare, bake further 10-15 minutes for well-done meat.
- Let roast stand for 20 minutes before carving. Serve juice in a gravy boat.
Recipe Courtesy of Nathan & Helen Montgomery, Calgary, Alberta