1 (1.8kg/4lb) leg of lamb
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons flour
600ml/1 pint chicken stock
juice of 1 large orange
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint or mint sauce
100g/4oz dried apricots soaked in cold water overnight
4 medium quartered onions
salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the meat from the bone and cut into 3.5cm/1.5" pieces.
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and brown he lamb on all sides until golden. Place in a large, shallow flameproof casserole.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and flour to the pan juices and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring well. Gradually add the stock, orange juice, mint or mint sauce and drained apricots.
- Pour over the meat, add the quartered onions and season well. Cut the peeled potatoes into 5mm/.25 inch slices and layer on top.
- Cover with a lid and cook in a cool oven (150 C, 300 F, Gas Mark 2) for about 1.5 hours. Remove the lid and brown for a further 15 minutes.
Cook’s Tip: Ring the changes in the above lamb casserole by substituting half of the dried apricots for other dried fruits. Apricot and dried pears, dried apples, dried peaches and dried bananas are all good combinations.