50g/2oz butter or margarine
2 quartered onions
675g/1.5lb lean stewing lamb cut into serving sized pieces
40g/1.5oz seasoned flour
600ml/1 pint stock
salt & freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons tomato puree
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 bouquet garni
8 small button onions
100g/4oz shelled peas
- Melt half the butter or margarine in a flameproof casserole and add the onion quarters.Fry gently until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add the meat and fry gently until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
- Shower in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually blend in the stock and season to taste.
- Add the tomato puree, garlic and bouquet garni.
- Cover and cook in a moderate oven (180 c, 350 F, Gas Mark 4) for 1.25 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the button onions in the remaining butter or margarine until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add to the casserole with the peas and cook for a further 20 minutes.