1 kg. Boneless Alberta Lamb Loin - trimmed
3 Tbsp. black pepper corns – crushed coarsely
1 Tbsp. canola oil
Sambucca Cream Sauce
1 Tbsp minced red onion
3 Tbsp. Sambucca liqueur (or other licorice flavoured liqueur)
¾ cup whipping cream
½ tsp. chili garlic paste (sambal olek)
Salt and white pepper to taste
Grilled Sweet Peppers
1 red pepper, cut into large wedges
1 yellow pepper, cut into large wedges
Optional: asparagus and/or fennel
Olive oil to toss
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a frying pan with canola oil. Place seasoned lamb loin in pan, fat side down, allowing to brown for 1 -2 minutes.
- Flip and continue to evenly brown on all sides. Remove from pan and place in a shallow dish with crushed peppercorns. Firmly press peppercorns onto lamb loin.
- Put crusted loin into preheated 400°F oven, on new pan. Cook 10 – 15 minutes, until medium rare, then allow to rest.
- Add red onion to pan and sauté over medium heat until tender.
- Deglaze pan with sambucca (flame), then add cream and chili paste. Allow to reduce and thicken slightly.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper.
- Carve loin and serve over steamed rice with sauce and grilled vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Darren Nixon